Pages

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Parts of Speech Table


Parts of Speech Table
This is a summary of the 8 parts of speech*. You can find more detail if you click on each part of speech.
part of speech
function or "job"
example words
example sentences
action or state
(to) be, have, do, like, work, sing, can, must
EnglishClub.com is a web site. I like EnglishClub.com.
thing or person
pen, dog, work, music, town, London, teacher, John
This is my dog. He lives in my house. We live in London.
describes a noun
a/an, the, 69, some, good, big, red, well, interesting
My dog is big. I like big dogs.
describes a verb, adjective or adverb
quickly, silently, well, badly, very, really
My dog eats quickly. When he is very hungry, he eats really quickly.
replaces a noun
I, you, he, she, some
Tara is Indian. She is beautiful.
links a noun to another word
to, at, after, on, but
We went to school on Monday.
joins clauses or sentences or words
and, but, when
I like dogs and I like cats. I like cats and dogs. I like dogs but I don't like cats.
short exclamation, sometimes inserted into a sentence
oh!, ouch!, hi!, well
Ouch! That hurts! Hi! How are you? Well, I don't know.

The Parts of Speech

PART OF SPEECH
BASIC FUNCTION
EXAMPLES
names a person, place, or thing
pirate, Caribbean, ship
takes the place of a noun
I, you, he, she, it, ours, them, who
identifies action or state of being
sing, dance, believe, be
modifies a noun
hot, lazy, funny
modifies a verb, adjective, or other adverb
softly, lazily, often
shows a relationship between a noun (or pronoun) and other words in a sentence
up, over, against, by, for
joins words, phrases, and clauses
and, but, or, yet
expresses emotion
ah, whoops, ouch
identifies and specifies a noun
a, an, the

No comments:

Post a Comment